The American Express Platinum Card is the card for elite travelers, giving cardholders premier status, high returns on airfare, lounge access, and more. But during the pandemic, American Express continues to lead the race for retention as it incentivizes its customers to stick with the card while they hit pause on their travel.
In January 2021, American Express announced new online shopping perks for Platinum cardholders. Notably, PayPal statement credits and some 100% back AMEX Offers:
PayPal Statement Credits
When using PayPal to pay at checkout, cardholders will earn a $30 statement credit each month from January 1, 2021, through June 30, 2021. These six statement credits are worth $180! See here for a great summary of where you can checkout with PayPal, but I think the best values are the Starbucks Card reloads and Uber Cash deposits. Both options allow you to save the money for a future purchase you would make anyway, rather than requiring you to make additional purchases to achieve the benefit.
If you have never added an AMEX Offer to your card, make sure you have downloaded the AMEX app on your phone. Then, after selecting your Platinum Card, select “Offers” on the bottom bar menu. Here, you can add offers to your cards that will apply additional statement credits to your account after specific purchases. From their announcement linked above, here is the full list of AMEX Offers added to incentivize Platinum cardholders:
- Avis Car Rental – Spend $250+ on eligible purchases, Get $75 back, up to two times
- BestBuy.com – Spend $50+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to two times
- Goldbelly – Spend $100+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to three times
- Home Chef – Spend $50+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to three times
- HomeDepot.com – Spend $50+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to two times
- Instacart – Spend $250+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to two times
- Samsung – Spend $1,000+ on eligible purchases, Get $200 back, one time
- Scribd – Spend $9.99+ on eligible purchases, Get $9.99 back, up to five times
- The Container Store – Spend $150+ on eligible purchases, Get $50 back, up to two times
- Virtual Personal Training by Equinox – Spend $780+ on eligible purchases, Get $130 back, up to five times
- Wine Insiders – Spend $30+ on eligible purchases, Get $30 back, up to two times
Notable are the bolded offers which provide you a 100% return on your spend. For any offer where you spend more than you get, ensure that you are already spending money with that company before taking advantage of that offer in order to truly gain value from it.
In addition to the retention efforts above and its usual benefits, American Express is offering prospective customers additional incentives for getting the Platinum Card this year. In the form of 10X membership rewards points, new cardholders receive a staggering 20% back on gas station and supermarket purchases for the first six months. If you do not already have the Platinum card and look forward to traveling after the pandemic, this is the perfect time to apply for the card and build up your membership reward points for that next big trip.